Skip to main content


Planning Permission in Birmingham

Easyplan house and plans

Do I need Planning Permission

A Planning Permission application  may be  needed for certain alterations types of building work, extensions and change of use.  Some alterations and extensions do not require planning permission if they comply with  permitted development criteria.  We can check whether your scheme would be allowed under Permitted Development or if a planning application is required. 

If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty,or if your property is a listed building you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas.



There are currently 30 Conservation Areas in Birmingham. These areas are varied  but all contain buildings, structures or features of historic or architectural value.

Conservation aeas in Birmingham

Birmingham's conservation areas  range from the Jewellery Quarter, which contains Europe's largest and best surviving group of Victorian and early 20th century buildings devoted to the manufacture of jewellery, to the internationally acclaimed Bournville Village, which dates from the late 19th century.

Sutton Coldfield also have conservation areas, please see Conservation areas Sutton Coldfield page.

The planning department  may have removed some or all of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. In this case they do not normally charge you an Application Fee.

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas. You may know if your property is affected by such a direction, but we can check with the local planning department should you require this information.

You will also need to apply for planning approval if the proposed works exceed the limitations of permitted development, such as the size of the extension, the height of the eaves, the ridge height, the percentage of the plot covered etc. and which elevation of your property you wish to extend, front, side, rear or roof.

To find our more visit our permitted development page or request an ebrochure " All about Planning"


If you would like some advice on whether your project needs Planning Permission or would be allowed under Permitted Development EasyPlan Birmingham South offer an initial consultation free of charge.


I need Planning Permission - what's next ?

 A householder application will need to be submitted to Birmingham  planning department. This application will  need to include detailed architectural drawings of both the existing property and the proposed alteration or extension, ordanance survey maps of your property and the surrounding area, application forms and an application fee of £206. Once your application has been deposited with the planning authority and they have verified that the application is complete ( this can take around a fortnight)  they will then issue a decision within 8 weeks.

There are regulations and guidelines regarding overlooking, right to light and changes to the street scene which have to be taken into consideration. There are also rules concerning balconies, verhandas, new windows, solar panels, alterations to a roof, porches, fences, walls, gates, patios and driveways.


EasyPlan Birmingham South can take care of the complete process .We submit your plans and liaise with the local authority throughout the process to ensure your application has the best chance of success in gaining planning permission. We can also provide Building Regulations and Structural calculations.

   - 0121 314 5333